Part of the LDECR known affectionately as the old ‘Clog & Knocker’ section near Barlborough and Beighton Field. The railway served an area that extensively worked the local minerals coal, ironstone and clay and the production of bricks. The bricks were exported downhill to the railway on either an incline plane or some other such haulage system. It is also possible that clay was mined and then transported up hill from the clay pits to the brickworks via another tramway powered by a steam engine. Before the railway a local railway to the Renishaw ironworks the Cottam Railway existed but this was superseded a few years later by the Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway. There were several collieries in the area over at least a 50 year period according to these Ordnance Survey maps.
SK 46170 76948
The fascia and top have gone but it gives one an idea of how the bridge was originally constructed.
Nearby coal, ironstone and clay have been worked and bricks produced.
This is the remains of a tub rail used as a post, it may well have come from one of these mining operations. SK 45707 76889.
As late as the 1890’s there was a Cottam Railway which transported minerals to the Renishaw Ironworks. So one can also postulate that Coal, Clay & Ironstone were mined here.
A local brick. COTTAM
Part of a brick and stone building with a red pan tile roof near the priory at SK 45807 76873 possibly an agricultural building.
Beighton Field Priory Front.
Priory & Farm Rear.
Static Steam Engine House SK 46030 76828
Cast Iron Water Pipes.
There is a lot of evidence on the ground for the operations the land has been put to.
Westfield Colliery Pumping Engine Shaft Site (where the trees are) SK 46499 77075.
The Collieries in the area.
Cottam No1 or Cottam Old pit. SK 465771. J.& G. Wells and then Appleby & Company, Eckington Coal & Iron Company. 1798-1886.
Cottam No2 or Cottam New pit. 1826-1892. Appleby & Co, Eckington Coal & Iron Company. Colliery and Brickyard 1840. Mining Top Hard and High Hazels seams
from at least four shafts. Site was served by a static steam engine at SK 46030 76828
the remains of which are still there.
Glebe Colliery. 1835-1868.
Worked the Clowne seam from three shafts at 22yards deep for the Rodes and Pole families also coked the coal and mined and produced bricks.
Hazel Colliery or Hazel Well Colliery and Brickyard. (Ex Cottam New Colliery). Serviced by the L.D.&E.C.Railway. Opened in 1909 by a consortium of local
businessmen and closed in 1914 for coal production but continued to produce bricks as the Barlborough Brick Company Limited until closure in 1917.
1865-1894 460776. Worked the Top Hard coals at 73 yards from the surface.
Knitaker or Nittaker,
Mentioned in 1811 by Farey as working under yellow lime. Owned by the Rodes family and working from early eighteenth to early nineteenth century.
Park Hall Drift. 1895-1908 SK 469787.
Worked by the Park Hall Colliery Company to work the High Hazel seam but closed in 1908 as unprofitable. Employed at its peak 100 men
underground and 30 on the surface.
An area worked from the middle ages on lands owned by the Rodes family of Barlborough Hall. Presumably the coal fed the fires of the Hall. Mentioned by Farey
1811. Not worked much in the 19th Century.
Pebley or Peggers Pit. 1896-1928. SK 49107785.
A Staveley Company pit. Working the Two Foot Seam. Top Hards and High Hazel seams. The number two shaft was deepened in 1937 to the Deep Soft and Sitwell seams. The colliery closed in 1928 as unprofitable. 31 men employed underground and 35 on the surface.
Westfield Colliery. SK 464771. 1840.
1811. Worked by two shafts just off Westfield Lane into the High Hazel seam at 150 feet from the surface. There were several shafts here from 1780-1930.
Woodhouse Colliery. 1856-1881.
Woodhouse Lane Colliery. 1830-1878. SK 466762.
Working the shallow seams of the Top Hard and High Hazel for the Rodes family.
SK 454758. In 1840 a pub existed at Mastin moor called the Jovial Collier.
Clay pits at SK 460766. Limestone Quarry and Lime Kilns at SK 490773.