Haddon Tunnel 1863-1967.
East Portal SK. 18451 71628.
West Portal SK. 18361 71503.
Photographs showing a flooded East Portal.
Built by the Midland Railway in 1863 on the extension of the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Midlands Railway extension from Matlock to Rowsley, the tunnel being 1,058 yards long on a gradient of 1:102. Built mostly by a cutting which was then covered over to hide it from the Duke of Rutland's Haddon Hall the tunnel had five ventilation shafts. It was a full width tunnel with twin track and was closed along with the line under the 1967 Beeching act.
TO BE CONTINUED.